The afternoon session, hosted by Eric Sun, started right after the delicious lunch and networking break. The six topics ranged broadly from big data analysis and machine learning to groundbreaking knowledge in the pharma industry, all of which were very insightful.
• Li Li, from BeiGene, brought her fresh and unique project experience “How the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Use Real-world Big Data for “Hospital Compare” in the US”, which revealed how multi-domain big data can be analysed for improving healthcare practice in hospitals and government wellbeing policies.
• Jianfeng Ye, from Sanofi, remotely shared “Intelligent Clinical Trial Design Based on the Cloud” via video link. His self-motivation and nicely featured toolkit were not only presented as a way in which to use AI to reduce TFL shell design resources but also to inspire people to explore what better work can be done in addition to the job assigned.
• Eric Sun from ARCDAT presented the Introduction to Working Groups at PhUSE, along with Frank Senk. Eric shared his experience with PhUSE activities and WG participation since 2013 and urged old and new members to learn more about the WGs and to get involved.
• Victor Wu, a renowned CDISC expert from Beijing Data Science Express Consulting, presented “Standards Development Evolution and CDISC in China”. His high-level intro of CDISC’s formation and functions led the attendees, especially the younger ones, back to 1997 and to the plans for 2018–2020 China submission for CDE, which triggered lots of Q&A, for example XPT preparation.
• Ruiling Peng, from Improve-Quality, delivered the final topic, “How do EDCs Help the Data Quality in our Clinical Trials?” From her ample EDC and broad implementation experience, she provided animated examples that really boosted everyone’s spirits in pursuing quality clinical data late on a Friday afternoon.
Lastly, Eric, Yongmin, the speakers and the Beijing SDE Committee assembled an informal Panel Discussion. In concluding the event, and to echo the day’s theme, Eric urged all members to follow the PhUSE spirit of collaboration and to face the AI challenges with a more self-motivated approach!
Overall, the 2018 Beijing SDE was a great success. The Beijing SDE Committee would like to thank the sponsors – BeiGene, PAREXEL, Strong-Vinda, PANACRO, GCE Solutions and Sycamore Informatics – for their generous support to this SDE. Additional thanks for their great support go to Sarvesh Singh, PhUSE Asia Events Director, and the PhUSE Office, in particular Tracy Bamford and Kerry Robson, who provided constant guidance and timely support to our event.